- Title: Girl Shows!
- Presented by: Leslie Cunningham
- Class Description: A look at the American carnival girl shows of the 20th century and a review of the book Girl Show: Into the Canvas World of Bump and Grind by A.W. Stencell. This class is part of The Harlem in Havana Project: Burlesque Education Series.
- Delivery Format: Includes a pre-recorded storytelling video; discussion questions; review/questions.
- Audience: Global audience interested in American entertainment history, Women’s Studies, Black Life, Burlesque and Dance history.
- Prerequisites: None
- Virtual class access needs: Internet for streaming and viewing a 22:28min video via computer or mobile phone; a class journal for answering discussion questions if you are watching this presentation alone.
- Learn about the American carnival girl shows of the 20th century.
- Review of the book Girl Show: Into the Canvas World of Bump and Grind by A.W. Stencell.
- Meet some of the headliners who helped innovate Burlesque.
Leslie Cunningham is an artist, writer, documentary filmmaker, and owner of TRIBES Entertainment, a boutique digital media company based in Durham, North Carolina known for creating daring and entertaining narratives through a variety of digital platforms. A raconteur with a journalistic background, Leslie is a graduate of the documentary arts program at the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University in Durham, NC. Her collection of engaging documentary films have screened on public television, online and at film festivals in the U.S. and internationally. Read more.
The Harlem in Havana Project: Burlesque Education Series features three hour-long classes covering American burlesque history from the traveling carnival stage. Presented by Leslie Cunningham, a documentary filmmaker and creator of the Harlem in Havana Project, these fun, passionate and energetic classes are filled with new and existing burlesque material, personal experiences, book reviews, film clips and much more. Learn more at harleminhavana.com (educate).
TRIBES Entertainment is a boutique digital media production company based in Durham, NC known for telling stories from the frontline of urban music, arts and culture. Learn more at tribesmagazine.com.